The holidays are a time to slow down and enjoy quality time with loved ones. But with the shopping, the planning, the parties, the cooking… it’s no wonder so many of us end up more stressed than relaxed. As it turns out, the more expectations we have of what the holidays ‘should’ look like, the more pressure we end up putting on ourselves to make sure everything goes perfectly. And while we’re so worried about creating the perfect holiday, we end up robbing ourselves of the beautiful experience right in front of us. So we’re here to remind you to give yourself a break this holiday season! Our suggestion? Knock some ‘doing’ off of your to-do list and replace it with some ‘being’ instead!
- Get cozy with a warm drink. It’s the holidays after all! The weather is cooler, the days are shorter… This time of year, there’s nothing better than a cup of tea or hot cocoa to warm you up! But don’t just drink it. Make it intentional! Breath in the steam, savor the tastes, feel the warmth of the mug on your hands. And enjoy the sense of presence you get from simply being. It’s this kind of self-kindness that’s so necessary to keep all the holiday ‘doing’ manageable!
- Get outside. Winter is such a beautiful time of year. Unfortunately, we spend so much time in shopping malls and outlet stores during the holidays, that we often end up missing it. While you may think you’re too busy, you might be surprised by what a little time spent outside can do for your mental health, not to mention your energy levels and your ability to keep up with the hustle and bustle of the holiday season! The best part? You don’t have to do anything! Just sit and soak up the beauty!
- Carve out some ‘you’ time. Now, we realize that the holidays are a time for giving. We just want to remind you that you can’t pour from an empty cup! Taking time out of your day to relax and breathe is not selfish… it is necessary! When your battery is full, you have so much more to give! So charge up and shine your light!.
- Say no. The pressure to show up during the holidays is enough to make even the best of us a bit frazzled. And while you might want to say yes to everyone and everything, it’s important to say ‘no’ too. Whether it’s due to safety concerns regarding COVID-19, or it’s simply because you need a break, give yourself permission to opt-out. Knowing your limits is the ultimate form of kindness, not just for yourself, but for everyone around you! Taking a moment to check in with yourself before committing will allow you to be your best self wherever you can show up. So ease up a little and try saying ‘no’. It’s OK, we promise!
- Embrace the imperfections. The holidays can get a little messy. And with this year’s celebrations looking a bit different than usual, it’s easy to get caught up in our expectations of what the holidays ‘should’ look like. While a COVID-19 holiday isn’t ideal, what if we embraced the mess and looked for the good instead? Like, for example, how wonderfully adaptable and resilient we have proven to be this year, and how lucky we are to have the technology that we do to stay connected despite it all? We’re willing to bet that a slight shift in perspective just might leave you feeling perfectly happy, restrictions and all!
However you choose to celebrate, we hope that you find joy in all your precious little moments this holiday season. Be safe out there, stay healthy, and stay kind!