Feeling a bit cagey in quarantine? We get it. Staying home and social distancing has been tough for all of us. Connecting with others and the world at large is a huge component of good mental health. Learning how to maintain our general wellbeing without fresh air and social interaction can feel challenging. To combat the quarantine blues, we’ve been experimenting with simple ways to practice kindness during quarantine. What we’ve found, is that our days have become much more bearable, even beautiful, when we’re fueled by purpose. Luckily, there are countless opportunities to bring kindness into quarantine and no shortage of people that could benefit from a smile and some levity. Here are 5 ideas to get you started!
- Be a friendly face. Staying home as much as possible and practicing social distancing when we do have to go out is important, of course. But this doesn’t mean we need to be scared of each other! A simple smile and hello could make all the difference.
- Reach out to your loved ones. While we can’t be with each other physically, we still have several other resources to stay connected to the ones we love. Thank goodness for technology, right? Use it to your advantage! Make a call, FaceTime a friend, or send a text. Practice checking in and seeing how your loved ones are doing. Showing up and offering support feels good and your thoughtfulness could be just what they needed to turn their day around.
- Be a thoughtful neighbor. If you are able, consider contacting your elderly and/or compromised neighbors to see how they are getting by. Be it by phone or simply a distanced chat on your street, find out if there is anything you can do to help. Perhaps you are going to the store and offer to pick up a few things to save them the trip. Or maybe you just surprise them with some take-out and a note with your number in case something comes up in the future!
- Give back. This doesn’t necessarily mean you have to donate large sums of money to different causes, although if you are so situated then by all means! However, we realize that this has been a time of great financial burden for many of us. Keeping this in mind, giving back can be as simple as finding practical ways to support small businesses and essential workers with your money. So, order take-out from your favorite local restaurant or leave a tip for the delivery driver. We’re all in this together!
- Show gratitude. While quarantine can be tough, remembering the people on the front lines really puts things into perspective. The reality is that healthcare workers are risking their lives every day to keep us safe and healthy. Showing our gratitude, respect, and support for their sacrifices is one of the kindest things we can do. And it doesn’t have to be complicated! Simple acts of kindness and gratitude, like staying home, social distancing, and wearing a mask are making a huge impact in slowing the spread so that these individuals can continue saving lives. If you’re feeling more ambitious and have time to spare, consider writing ‘Thank you’ notes to the healthcare workers and first responders in your life!
Coronavirus has proven to be an unprecedented global crisis. However, it’s in times like these that we are given the unique opportunity to unify towards a common goal. We are all counting down the days until we can return to some sense of normalcy. In the meantime, let’s help remind each other that we are not alone. Each day is filled with countless opportunities to spread kindness in quarantine, as we work together to weather the storm.
Kindness comes in so many different shapes and forms. These are only a few ideas, but they are bound to get you started. From there, get creative! Try different variations of our ideas and maybe brainstorm some of your own. We’re willing to bet you’ll be just as hooked as we are!